When my husband called me on his way home from work and asked what we were having, I explained. He immediately asked if I could make something else for him. The answer to that was NO. I asked him to have faith in me and give it a try. He agreed. Once he got home and tasted my creation, he ended up eating 3/4 of the pizza himself!
I call it Oktoberfest Pizza because it uses those tasty ingredients you get to indulge in when you go to Oktoberfest (sausage, sauerkraut, mustard). Sound good? Recipe is below.
- One pre-made pizza crust (I used Freschetta)
- One cup of sauerkraut (washed and drained)
- Slices of cooked/grilled hot dogs or sausages (amount up to you)
- 1 tbsp. spicy mustard
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Worcestershire sauce
- shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheeses
1. Put the crust in the oven while the oven preheats. This helps the crust get crunchy. I take it out once the oven is preheated. If you don't like crunchy crust, skip this step.
2. Make the sauce. Start with the sour cream. Add mustard and Worcestershire sauce to taste. I probably used about a tablespoon of mustard and just a dash of Worcestershire sauce.
3. Spread the sauce evenly over the crust.
4. Layer on the sauerkraut.
5. Add the hot dog or sausage slices.
6. Sprinkle on the cheeses. I used about half of each type of cheese to cover the pizza.
7. Bake until cheese is bubbly.
The sauce has a little kick to it that compliments the sauerkraut. You could add peppers, change up the sauce, or use different kinds of cheeses to make your own creation!
I'm slowly learning that cooking is about taking the ingredients you have and thinking of different ways to combine them to create different flavors. This time I used all kinds of things in my fridge. I have to say that I was going out on a limb on this one, but if it hadn't turned out, I could have just called and ordered a pizza!
Easier Than I Thought!
Linked to: Tues: Tip Junkie, Sugar Bee Crafts, A Bowl Full of Lemons, Today's Creative Blog, Mommy By Day Crafter By Night, Wed: Gingersnap Crafts, Sew Much Ado, Thurs: 36th Avenue, 52 Mantels, House of Hepworths, Friday:Tatertots and Jello, Serenity Now, Whipperberry, Sun.: I Heart Naptime,